Main Topic: Observing Trends
Four main categories we’ll be looking at today:
- Average Card Type distribution over time
- Average Number of Colors over time
- Average Number of Legendary Creatures over time
- Average Converted Mana Cost over time
(I’ve input images below but also shared a separate folder with larger versions, plus an excel sheet Don gave me with more specific numbers)
- Note the relative stability from 2014 – 2018
- Specific numbers: 25 creatures; 9 instants; 9 sorceries; 9 enchantments; 13 artifacts; 3 planeswalkers
- Note the relative stability
- Added up, this means folks run an avg of like 32 lands–thoughts on that ratio
Our metas: Is there a card type you’ve been playing more of lately? Less of?
- Current percentages:
- 1% colorless
- 20% Single-Color
- 35% Two-Color
- 31% Three-Color
- 6% Four-Color
- 7% Five-Color
- Note the spike in Nov 2016. At that time: 24% Four-Color; 26% Three-Color (down from 32% the previous month); 30% Two-Color (Down from 38% previous month)
- Four-Color ate into 2- and 3-Color’s space, but not 5-Color
- Note that 4-Color has tapered off a lot since the spike
- July 2017: Hour of Devastation release, mono color decks nearly double. 18% to 30%
Our metas: have you noticed more colors? less?
Take a break from the graphs for
Head to Head
Rakdos Charm vs Izzet Charm
Blue Sun’s Zenith vs Stroke of Genius
Evolving Wilds vs Temple of the False God
- Marginal increase from 3.5 to 4.5
- No sudden increase after Dominaria
- How long until count rises from Dominaria?
Average CMC Over Time
- Don’t be fooled by the dramatic curve, this scale is measuring by .5
- Gradual dip from ~3.75 to ~3.5
- Do we expect this trend to continue, or reverse? Where should/would it taper off?
Our metas: How has the average CMC changed in your deckbuilding? Format speed?
Metrics we couldn’t measure this time (so these are just our biased metas)
- Number of spot removal spells?
- Basic Land counts?
- Price of decks?
Challenge the Stats
- Joey’s pick: Twilight’s Call
- Matt’s pick: Blighted Woodland
- Dana’s pick: Dust Bowl